Friday, November 10, 2017

The Sherlock Gnomes Test.

This week, among the smorgasbord of serious issues that 2017 has been dealing out on a daily basis, we got a nice, fluffy trivial issue for Sherlockians to disagree on: The first real look at a movie called Sherlock Gnomes.

The sequel to an animated garden gnome story based on Romeo and Juliet, Sherlock Gnomes looked further up the English literature timeline for its inspiration. Not sure if it's because garden gnomes have to be British somehow or what. (I would think "German" for some reason.)

As it still contains "Gnomeo and Juliet" from the first movie, this adventure of Sherlock Gnomes definitely doesn't seem to be an adaptation of anything Canon, just more gnomish hijinx played for the kiddies. And that's where the questions arise.

Sherlock Gnomes is made for an audience who cannot yet recognize who Sherlock Holmes really is. It may be many a child's first exposure to the deerstalker and Invernesse cape as symbols of the unofficial detective expert . . . if they're even old enough to understand that concept.  It might seem a little more of an exploitative attempt at brand recognition with the parents and grandparents who'll be dragging the tykes to the theater. It also might just seem like one more happy celebration of Sherlock Holmes as a cultural icon.

Is it a good thing? Is it a bad thing? Is it even a thing worth caring about?

Were this a political point worth fighting, or even DC/Marvel movie superhero feuding, the "Oh, look, more crap Sherlock!" party and "All Sherlock is good Sherlock!" party would have pundits out there battling it out right now. In a way, we're lucky that Sherlock Holmes stays out of the mainstream most of the time, so we don't have that sort of opinion war going on constantly over minutiae.  Oh, wait . . . I'm overlooking what HAS to be out there . . .

AND IT IS!

Sherlock Gnomes reaction videos on YouTube. Just search "sherlock gnomes preview reaction" and you can literally spend an hour watching people react to the movie trailer for Sherlock Gnomes. A whole new classification of Sherlockian video for us to add to our completist Sherlockian catalogs.

Hear people laugh at the "No ship, Sherlock!" joke. See the physical impact of a fart joke. See them immediately go to Amazon and order The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Well, maybe not that last part.

This has to be the most derivative of derivative of derivative Sherlockian content in the history of Sherlock Holmes. And I kind of love it.

I mean, you didn't think a guy who sets all these thoughts on the internet for random passersby is going to pooh-pooh reaction video hobbyists, did you?  And watching people being made happy by a silly Sherlock Gnomes preview makes me glad for that movie, which didn't seem to be making me too happy before watching other people made happy by it . . . curious world we live in now, isn't it?

Not sure what kind of test this "Sherlock Gnomes Test" we're getting actually is, but it's certainly a vehicle for going down some new Sherlockian roads. And I don't know about you, but I never mind that.

7 comments:

  1. As I've been told by a mentor Peter Blau, be like John Bennett Shaw, be a completist, and enjoy the awful stuff because it offers opportunities to tell funny stories (rather than complain) . . . so i will certainly grin and bear it with Sherlock Gnomes, Will Ferrell, and whatever else you throw my way. However Master Po, I'll still (silently) maintain my right to complain about "Elementary", since it never was, nor will it ever be Sherlock Holmes for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleading the fifth on "Elementary" these days. (But still a bit baffled by the fondness for it among otherwise reasonable-seeming folk.) You keep dodging the Master Po throws, grasshopper! (And winning with references like that!)

      Delete
  2. Can I be in a middle party? I watched the trailer and hated it. Then I showed it to my fifth graders and they all laughed and said how they wanted to go see it. 25 kids excited about a Sherlock Holmes project is plenty reason for me to appreciate something I have no interest in myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like reason enough to appreciate anything!

      Delete
  3. One added note: It seems like the gnome who wears the thong is just as prominent in the preview as the Sherlock gnome, which says something about the state of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will probably see it, but I draw the line at having a Sherlock Gnomes lawn ornament in my yard! (maybe in the backyard, out of view?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry! For some reason, Sherlock Gnomes doesn't look like a lawn gnome.

      Delete